Immigration Promotion and the Settlement of the American Continent, 1607-1914Book - 2017
An in-depth look at the motivating factors behind immigration to America from 1607 to 1914, including what attracted people to America, who was trying to attract them, and why.
* Features a synthesis of 35 state promotional policies regarding immigration
* Challenges the commonly held view that the 19th century was a period of "laissez faire" immigration policy
* Examines the question of why immigrants migrate to certain areas
* Highlights the corporate, for-profit nature of English colonization in the 17th century
* Includes private corporate, religious, and philanthropic promotional activities
* Analyzes why policymakers favored certain immigrant groups over others