Pro

Pro

Reclaiming Abortion Rights

Book - 2014
Average Rating:
Rate this:
3
1

A POWERFUL ARGUMENT FOR ABORTION AS A MORAL RIGHT AND SOCIAL GOOD BY A NOTED FEMINIST AND LONGTIME COLUMNIST FOR THE NATION

Forty years after the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling, "abortion" is still a word that is said with outright hostility by many, despite the fact that one in three American women will have terminated at least one pregnancy by menopause. Even those who support a woman's right to an abortion often qualify their support by saying abortion is a "bad thing," an "agonizing decision," making the medical procedure so remote and radioactive that it takes it out of the world of the everyday, turning an act that is normal and necessary into something shameful and secretive. Meanwhile, with each passing day, the rights upheld by the Supreme Court are being systematically eroded by state laws designed to end abortion outright.

In this urgent, controversial book, Katha Pollitt reframes abortion as a common part of a woman's reproductive life, one that should be accepted as a moral right with positive social implications. In Pro , Pollitt takes on the personhood argument, reaffirms the priority of a woman's life and health, and discusses why terminating a pregnancy can be a force for good for women, families, and society. It is time, Pollitt argues, that we reclaim the lives and the rights of women and mothers.

Publisher: New York, N.Y. : Picador, 2014
Edition: First edition
ISBN: 9780312620547
0312620543
Characteristics: 258 pages ; 22 cm
Alternative Title: Reclaiming abortion rights

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment

a
AQUILEA777
Apr 30, 2017

Authoress mocks concern for dead babies as so much nonsense. Women have the right to kill anything in their bodies, even if it is a person, eg p 91.
--- A woman has no obligation "just because she happened to get pregnant," p 10. She cannot be controlled by "a stray sperm." We must not "allow women's lives to be derailed by a single sperm," p 105.
--- Unwanted babies are better off dead. "[P]art of caring for children is knowing when it's not a good idea to bring them into the world," p 16.
--- Abortion is "a blessing and a lifesaver" -- "a positive social good" that "benefits society as a whole," pp 34-35.
--- ProLife means enslavement by Christian males. Fetuses are merely an excuse to enslave women. Christians are anti-woman, not pro-child, p 170. (What of prolife Christian women?)
--- Motherhood is oppressive and degrading: men exalt it to keep women down. Later she says motherhood is noble and indispensable -- the same view that evil males hold.
--- Adoption is useless as it can cover only 200,000 a year, leaving 800,000 still to be aborted. Christians assist adoption just to look benign.
--- Abortion must NOT be limited to cases of rape, threat to mother's health, or fetal defect, since less than 10% of abortions are for these reasons, p 172. We must uphold the other 90%.
--- If abortion is banned, women will be prosecuted for having miscarriages.
--- It's wrong to show photos of bloody aborted fetuses: the truth must be hidden.
--- She ignores burdens on men: domineering wives, alimony, child support, predatory sex harassment claims. Fathers cannot save their unborn children, but must pay child support if women decide to keep them.

b
blueskies100
Feb 27, 2016

I have read this book. It is good coverage of the topics for those who are fence sitters on the topic.
For a medical view of the topic, I would highly recommend: Every Third Woman in America by Dr, David A Grimes.

s
StarGladiator
Oct 11, 2014

Haven't read this soon-to-be released book, but have seen several advanced chapters in it. Outstanding. [And please remember, the reason that the battle goes on regarding pro-choice, gay/lesbian rights, gun rights, voting rights, et cetera ad nauseum, is political theater - - harming others - - but meant to cloud the real issues in the background which both the republicans and so-called dems agree with: the enrichment of the elites!]

Quotes

Add a Quote

DBRL_ReginaF Mar 11, 2018

What if we started with women? After all, they are right here. You don't need to give someone an ultrasound to know that a woman is present; no one doubts that she can think or perceive pain. What is the moral status of women? How much right to life do women have? How much personhood? What about their souls?

Age

Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.

Summary

Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.

Notices

Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number

Recommendations

Subject Headings

  Loading...

Find it at MARINet

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top